This recipe is hearty and filling, perfect for a cold winter night. The sausage gives it a bit of smokiness and richness, while the cabbage and onion provide a nice crunch. Give it a try!
Traditional corned beef and cabbage is awesome but sometimes you want something that is a little different and healthy. In walks this sausage and cabbage recipe. Low carb and a great replacement for pasta or Chinese food 🙂
Southern Fried Cabbage w/Sausage and Brussel Sprouts
- Frying Pan
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or butter
- ½ head of green cabbage shredded
- 1 cup Brussel sprouts quartered small **optional
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ½ lb smoked sausage sliced on an angle
- ½ cup tomatoes diced - Roma or grape
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce **optional
- Chop the onion and shred the cabbage. Also slice the sausage.
- Add the bacon grease to your pan and add the sausage. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook for 3 more. Remove the sausage
- Using the same pan, add the cabbage and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, and the sausage.
- Cover the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Uncover, and finish cooking until cabbage is desired tenderness and most of liquid has been reduced.