Bruschetta is my favorite appetizer and very often I eat it as my entre. This seriously quick and easy side dish has all of that wonderful bruschetta flavor without the bread - so for those of you watching your carbs - this is it! Do you have to roast it at all? No. It would be great au naturale or added to a salad for a nice cool summertime dish. Roasting the tomatoes just makes them burst with flavor. Don't forget the toasty browned parmesan, that's the best part!
Is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?
You would think it's a vegetable, but it's actually a berry. Fruits are classified as having at least one seed and grows from the flower of a plant. The tomato checks both of those boxes so fruit it is!
Are tomatoes good for you?
Tomatoes are a great source of lycopene that can protect your cells from damage. Tomatoes also have potassium and vitamins B and E. For a long time it was thought that people with arthritis should avoid tomatoes because they could lead to inflammation and joint pain. The truth is nearly the opposite. The phytochemicals found in tomatoes are proven to be very powerful anti-inflammatories.
This is going to be quick, so pay attention.
There are only 7 ingredients in this recipe and it comes together in a flash! First, wash and half your tomatoes, then toss them in a medium size bowl.
Add all the oil, balsamic, basil, garlic, parmesan, and salt and pepper and give them a good stir.
Place in a roasting pan and bake at 450 for about 15-20 minutes.
Drizzle with a little balsamic glaze and you're all done.
Roasted Tomatoes with Basil and Parmesan
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar + extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 2 Tbs fresh basil chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parmesan cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450℉
- Wash tomatoes and cut in half
- Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, basil, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to a large bowl. Toss tomato halves in mixture and coat
- Add tomatoes to a greased baking dish and roast for 15 minutes
- Drizzle a little extra balsamic over the top if desired
- A great way to save on cleanup - if you're baking your entry at the same time, create a foil "Wall" and place it between the tomatoes and other food. You'll only have one dish to wash
- If you don't have cherry tomatoes, take 2 or three small tomatoes and cut them into wedges then follow the instructions above