This Easy Banoffee Pie recipes is an American twist on an English classic that blends fresh bananas and creamy home-made caramel into a divine dessert.
Easy Banoffee Pie Recipe
Banoffee? What’s that?
Banoffee is a play on Bananas and Toffee; it’s a traditional English dessert pie made from bananas, cream, and a thick caramel sauce, combined on a graham cracker crust to create an easy but sinfully delicious dessert. Some versions of the recipe also include chocolate, coffee or both. In this twist on the English classic we top off our pie with toasty marshmallows and chocolate ganache.
What is the difference between Banoffee Pie and Banoffee Cake?
Any combination of the banana and toffee, or caramel, flavors with added cream would fit the Banoffee flavor profile. Pie? Cake? Trifle? The possibilities are endless.
Can you do Banoffee Ice Cream Pie?
I’ve been asked this one several times and while I do not have a tried and true step-by-step recipe, I can make an educated guess that won’t be far off the mark. I would suggest cooling the caramel completely before pouring over the bananas. Refrigerate the pie for about 30 minutes. While the pie chills, soften your favorite vanilla (or chocolate… or coffee!) ice cream and spread in a nice thick layer over the caramel. Place in the freezer until the ice cream is hard again. Slice with a knife dipped in hot water and then drizzle with a nice warm chocolate ganache – I think you’ll have a winner!
Can you make Banoffee Vegan?
Why yes you can! I suggest using a gluten-free pie crust of your choice and sweetened condensed coconut milk. You can even find vegan marshmallows that are gelatin-free so don’t let your dietary choices stop you from enjoying this classic.
How to Make Perfect Creamy Caramel
You boil the can of sweetened condensed milk for three hours for a no-fail every time perfect creamy caramel.
Wait, you boil what? The can!! Yes you read that right, you boil the whole can. See video below.
This can be done weeks in advance. While it’s one of the main ingredients in this particular recipe, you’ll find all sorts of uses for this culinary hack. Sauce for ice cream. Topping for pancakes. Eating out of the can while standing in front of the fridge at 2 am? Maybe that last one is just me.
How to Make an Easy Banoffee Pie
Other sweet treats to try:
Easy Banoffee Pie
- Kitchen Torch (optional)
- 1 Graham cracker pie crust
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 bananas ripe
- Chocolate shavings ganache, or syrup (Optional)
- Remove the label from the can of sweetened condensed milk and place in the bottom of a deep pan or stock pot and cover completely with water.
- Bring to a roiling boil, reduce heat and boil for 3 hours, making sure the can is completely immersed in the water, topping up if necessary.
- Remove can from water and allow to cool with the can still sealed.
- While the caramel cools, make your graham cracker crust.
- Slice the bananas and arrange in a single layer in the pie crust.
- Open the can of caramel carefully (if it’s still warm it may splatter out) and pour over the bananas.
- Chill for 30 minutes
- Place marshmallows decoratively in a single layer with a second or third layer in the middle to give a little height
- Place under a broiler until gooey and golden brown
- Top with chocolate shavings, your favorite ganache or plain old chocolate syrup