If you are looking for a unique veggie side to smoke with your meats, this is it. Southern Smoked Squash Au Gratin is easy to make and perfect to throw when the meat is almost done!
What I love about this side dish is that even the kids will eat it! (or anyone else with tastebuds).
Pair this with our smoked Smoked Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin for a fabulous meal!
Southern Squash Au Gratin
- 3 squash Sliced ¼ inch thick - large squash - use 4 if small
- 3 tablespoon butter
- ½ onion
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ½ cup mexican cheese - or any other
- Melt 2 tablespoon butter - add flour and mix until thick. Slowly add in half of milk.
- Then add in cheese. Add the rest of milk as needed.
- Add squash and mix. Pour into a pan and cook for another 10 minutes either in air fryer or oven. at 350'. You can also smoke this - add towards the end for the last 30 minutes!