Are smoked burgers better?
Smoked burgers will change the way you cook burgers, that are AMAZING!!!
You can use this recipe and omit the bourbon or you can add it and REALLY jazz up the recipe. Also an awesome idea to add some gouda cheese (or your favorite) inside the burger before smoking. Or on top. You really can easily customize these to your tasting.
Not too mention, they are easy. Set them in the smoker and let them go. One hour later they are perfect. No need to watch a grill!
What temperature do you smoke burgers to?
The USDA recommends burgers be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Rare - 125°F
Medium - 135°F
Medium - 145°F
Well Done - 160°F
Of course we use the Kamado Joe smoker but you could use any smoker including an electric one!
What chips do you use to smoke burgers?
We prefer Apple chips for burgers but any chips will work!
We topped this one with Iberico bacon, not necessary but an AWESOME addition!
Sides to smoke with your burgers:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ lb 85% ground beef
- ½ lb pork
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ stick melted butter
- ¼ cup beef stock or bourbon
- 8 buns
- 8 slices cheese any will do
- 1 brick gouda Optional for putting in the burgers
- Take the bourbon or beef stock and soak the bread crumbs for a few minutes. Add the melted butter.
- Gently mix all of the ingredients together and form patties. Don't over mix.
- If you are adding the gouda inside, cut the brick into small slabs. Form the burgers around the cheese, make sure the meat completely covers the cheese and is sealed.
- Smoke at 225' for about an hour. If you like rare start checking at 45 minutes. Watch the temp for Doneness | Rare -125°F | Medium Rare |- 135°F | Medium -145°F | Well Done - 160°F
- Remove and let sit for a few minutes. Add cheese and a bun and any other toppings you want!