This recipe makes about enough to frost 12 or so cupcakes, depending on how much you use per cupcake. It also freezes really well! You can simply thaw it then give it a quick remix in your mixer before spreading onto your cakes and cupcakes again. I would recommend using a large bowl with your electric mixer for this recipe.
Remember, if you use salted butter instead of unsalted butter in this recipe, be sure to add a pinch or two of salt to balance the flavors out. Also, feel free to increase or decrease the amount of vanilla extract depending on how strong it is. I like to use a darker vanilla for this recipe.
Here's my Easy Buttercream Icing Recipe:
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 tablespoons milk
How to Make Easy Buttercream Icing:
In a large bowl, cream together butter and the vanilla extract until smooth.
Gradually add icing sugar in ½ cup increments until nice and creamy.
Add milk or cream in small amounts at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
If using salted butter, add a pinch of salt. Mix on high speed until light and fluffy.
Notes: Use this icing at room temperature for best results. If you choose to refrigerate it after mixing, make sure to bring it back to room temperature before using. Feel free to mix in food colouring prior to applying it on your cakes or cupcakes as well. You can see a picture of the final result below this set of instructions.
My Quick and Easy Buttercream Icing Recipe
- Stand Mixer
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups confectioners' sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and the vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually add icing sugar in ½ cup increments until nice and creamy.
- Add milk or cream in small amounts at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- If using salted butter, add a pinch of salt. Mix on high speed until light and fluffy.