Made with canned salmon, breadcrumbs, eggs, and seasoning, these patties are a simple and delicious way to enjoy this nutritious fish.
Salmon cakes, also known as salmon patties or salmon croquettes, are a versatile and easy-to-make dish that can be enjoyed for any meal. The recipe typically involves combining cooked salmon with a variety of ingredients like eggs, bread crumbs, and spices.
Grandmas Salmon Patties
Old-fashioned recipes always have a certain charm that makes them stand out. Salmon patties are a classic dish that many of us remember from our childhood. This is the one my grandmother passed down to me, that I still make today!
This old-fashioned recipe for salmon patties is a great way to enjoy this healthy fish without breaking the bank. The canned salmon is an affordable and convenient option that doesn't compromise on flavor.
Tips on making great salmon patties
- When making these patties, it's important to make sure the salmon is thoroughly drained and any bones or skin are removed. This will ensure that the patties have a smooth texture and are easy to eat.
- Mixing the ingredients well is also important to ensure that each patty has the right amount of seasoning and binding.
- Cooking the salmon patties in vegetable oil ensures that they are crispy on the outside while remaining moist and flavorful on the inside. It's important to make sure the oil is hot enough before adding the patties to the skillet, as this will help them cook evenly and prevent them from sticking to the pan.
- If you don't want to use oil you can easily use an air fryer or oven. Preheat the oven or air fryer to 375°F. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the patties are golden brown and cooked through.
- You can use fresh salmon instead of canned salmon if you prefer. Simply cook the salmon fillet until it flakes easily with a fork, then let it cool before mixing it with the other ingredients.
- If the mixture seems too wet, add more breadcrumbs or crushed crackers until it reaches the desired consistency.
How to make salmon patties with crackers
Traditionally salmon cakes are made with breadcrumbs but you can easily substitute crackers. The type of crackers you can use in salmon cakes can vary, depending on your personal preference and what you have available in your pantry.
Here are a few options:
- Saltine crackers: Saltines are a classic choice for salmon cakes. They provide a salty flavor and a crispy texture that works well with the salmon. To use saltines in your salmon cakes, simply crush them into fine crumbs and mix them with the other ingredients.
- Ritz crackers: Ritz crackers are another popular choice for salmon cakes. They have a buttery flavor and a light, flaky texture that pairs well with the salmon. To use Ritz crackers in your salmon cakes, crush them into fine crumbs and mix them with the other ingredients.
- Club crackers: Club crackers are a bit denser and more buttery than saltines, making them a good option if you want a richer flavor in your salmon cakes. To use Club crackers in your salmon cakes, crush them into fine crumbs and mix them with the other ingredients.
What is the difference between salmon patties, cakes, and burgers?
Salmon patties, cakes, and burgers are all made from similar ingredients but differ in their texture and shape.
Salmon patties are typically made by mixing canned or cooked salmon with breadcrumbs or crackers, eggs, seasonings, and sometimes vegetables like onion and celery. The mixture is then formed into small, round patties and fried until golden brown. Salmon patties are usually thinner and smaller than burgers or cakes, and they have a crispy exterior and a tender, moist interior.
Salmon cakes are similar to salmon patties but are often made with larger chunks of salmon rather than flakes. They may also contain more vegetables and seasonings for added flavor and texture. Salmon cakes are usually thicker and wider than patties and can be fried or baked.
Salmon burgers are typically made with fresh salmon that is ground or minced with seasonings and breadcrumbs. The mixture is formed into larger, thicker patties and grilled, baked, or pan-fried. Salmon burgers are often served on a bun with toppings like lettuce, tomato, and sauce, similar to traditional beef burgers.
Basically, salmon patties are smaller and thinner, made with canned or cooked salmon and often contain breadcrumbs or crackers. Salmon cakes are thicker and wider, made with larger chunks of salmon and may have more vegetables and seasonings. Salmon burgers are thicker and made with fresh salmon that is ground or minced with breadcrumbs and seasonings.
What to eat with salmon patties
These salmon patties can be served with a variety of sides, including accordion potatoes, succotash, coleslaw, or a greek pasta salad. They also make great leftovers and can be reheated in the microwave or oven. They are a great option for a quick and easy weeknight dinner or a fun party appetizer.
Old Fashioned Recipe for Salmon Patties
- Cast Iron
- 2 cans smoked salmon 14.75 oz each
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or crackers
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Drain the salmon and remove any bones or skin. Place the salmon in a mixing bowl and use a fork to flake it into small pieces.
- .Add the breadcrumbs, eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, chopped onion, and chopped celery to the bowl.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.Use your hands to form the mixture into patties, about 3 inches in diameter and ½ inch thick.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the salmon patties and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the patties from the skillet and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve the salmon patties hot with your favorite dipping sauce or sides.