Looking to prepare a hearty and flavorful meal with minimal effort? Look no further than this Instant Pot recipe featuring lima beans and ham.
With the help of the Instant Pot’s pressure-cooking magic, you can enjoy tender lima beans and succulent ham in a fraction of the time it would take using traditional methods. So, dust off your Instant Pot and get ready to savor this delicious and comforting dish.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Can I use dried lima beans for this recipe?
Yes, you can use dried lima beans for this recipe. However, keep in mind that you will need to soak them overnight before cooking to ensure they become tender. Alternatively, you can use canned lima beans for a quicker cooking time.
Can I use frozen lima beans?
Yes, I actually used them in this recipe. Just reduce your cook time to only 2 minutes!
Can I substitute the ham with another protein?
Absolutely! If you’re not a fan of ham or prefer a different protein, feel free to substitute it with cooked bacon, smoked sausage, or even chicken. Adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure your chosen protein is fully cooked.
More fun Bean Recipes:
- Southern Cajun Navy Beans
- Black Beans & Rice w/ Andouille Sausage
- One Pan Italian Chicken w/ Green Beans and Potatoes
Lima Beans and Ham Instant Pot
- 1 pound lima beans 1 bag of dried pre-soaked, 2 bags of frozen, or 3 cans
- 1 pound ham diced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish optional
- Soak your beans for a few hours to overnight before cooking. If you want.
- Plug in your Instant Pot and select the sauté function. Add the diced ham and cook until lightly browned. Remove the ham and set it aside for later.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Add the soaked and drained lima beans (or frozen or canned lima beans), browned ham, chicken broth, bay leaf, dried thyme, salt, and pepper to the Instant Pot. Give everything a good stir to combine.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, ensuring the pressure release valve is set to the sealing position. Select the pressure cook function and set the timer for 12 minutes for soaked beans or 5 minutes for canned beans. if you didn't presoak the beans set it to 20 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, allow for a natural pressure release for about 10 minutes, then carefully perform a quick pressure release to release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid when it's safe to do so, and give the lima beans and ham a gentle stir. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the lima beans and ham hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley if desired. Pair it with some crusty bread or rice for a satisfying meal.
Enjoy your delicious Instant Pot lima beans and ham!