Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet is a tasty and hearty meal that can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, or dinner. It features sweet potatoes as the star of the show, combining them with other ingredients to create an amazing flavor combination!
Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet is an easy and delicious way to start the day. This dish combines roasted sweet potatoes with eggs, bell peppers, onion and sausage for a savory breakfast that packs a punch of flavor.
The sweet potatoes provide plenty of fiber and vitamins for the morning, while the sausage adds just enough saltiness to make it irresistible. The vegetables add crunchy texture and extra nutrition, making this skillet meal a healthy way to fuel your body first thing in the morning.
To make this dish even more nutritious, you can also add cooked quinoa or diced tomatoes for added protein and nutrients. Whatever your heart desires!
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet
Sausage - you can use your favorite sausage like turkey sausage, smoked sausage or even meatless alternative. Any kind of breakfast meat will work.
Sweet Potatoes - you can use either fresh or frozen sweet potatoes for this recipe. Frozen will cook faster. You can also substitue regular potatoes as well!
Bell Pepper - any color of bell pepper will work, choose your favorite.
Onion - any type of onion will work here, but yellow or white onions are most commonly used.
Eggs - using farm fresh eggs will make a huge difference in taste and flavor.
Herbs - use any kind of herbs you like such as oregano, thyme, rosemary or basil.
Butter - Kerry Gold is our favorite but any real butter will work. You can use extra virgin olive oil if you don't have any.
How to Make Sweet Potato Skillet
This is a very easy meal to make. Simply dice up your ingredients and cook them in one pan. Seriously it is that easy! A cast iron pan works awesome for this meal too!
How fast this cooks depends on how big of pieces you cut. I like them bigger but smaller cooks a lot faster. Dice to the size that fits your family! Got little ones go small, got teenage boys - go BIG! As you can see I have a teen boy!
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add in some butter or bacon grease. Add the peppers and onions and saute for 1 minute. Then add the potatoes and sausage and cook until done. Top with scrambled or fried eggs!
Feel free to add in some tasty ingredients when you add the sausage like bacon, black beans, spinach and more. Great time to use up some leftovers!
More Savory Breakfast Ideas...
Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet
- ½ package sausage smoked, turkey, etc (about 7 oz)
- 2 to 3 large sweet potato peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper roughly chopped
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- Wash all of the vegetables. Peel and diced the sweet potatoes. Roughly chop the pepper and onion. Then cut the sausage into quarters.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add in some butter or bacon grease. Add the peppers and onions and saute for 1 minute.
- Add another teaspoon of butter. Then add the sweet potatoes and sausage to the skillet. Cook about 8 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are done. The smaller they are the faster they will cook. If necessary, add a few tablespoon of chicken stock or water and cover to get them tender.
- EGGS: You can cook the eggs in the pan. Make a hole (or four) in the mixture and add a little butter. Then crack an egg in the hole, cover and cook until done. Or you can just scramble some eggs in another pan and add on top!
All of these flavors blend together perfectly to create a delicious dish that is sure to please any palate!
Serve it up with some toast on the side for a complete meal that will satisfy your hunger. If you're looking for something new and different to try out for breakfast or dinner time, Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet is definitely a great option. Give it a try and you won't be disappointed!